A Yankee's Musing

Monday, July 11, 2005

On Death By Hatred

It sticks to my skin like the after smoke of 9-1-1. I live in a world of hatred. It is easy to point the blame; it is useless to point the blame. A "Tale of Two Cities," New York and London. and what have we, as humans, learned? Nothing. It is too easy to pretend we forget; it is too easy to be irresponsible to life. Instead we categorize: liberals, conservatives, right wing, left wing, fascists, Muslims, Catholics, Jehovahs, fags, straights, chinks, towel heads, honkies, white bread, Protestants, Kurds, Americans, God by many, many names and just a diversified rabid followers, militants, peaceniks, suits, natives, flatlanders....You name it, we have a separate category for it---that's the concept folks, to separate. Sad, a real shame.

I was listening to public radio about a week or so ago. It was a replayed program from a few years back, I guess, two authors talking about nature. I thought, good, I am attuned to nature so this will be interesting. Nada, no way. I never did catch what the male was trying to promote--some self interest he was totally inarticulate about. And the woman, well the most cogent thing she said was a real hoot: "I've found it important to hang out with my pet chickens in the yard to allow their cheickenness to rub off on me." O..K..ay. Now if you take this concept a bit further, it would mean if I conscously hang out with baby bear, maybe some of her bearness will rub off on me and then perhaps I will be climbing trees like a real champ, or eating grubs. Ah yes, and if I were to hang out in the chemotherapy rooms more often with the other chemos., I can allow their what? vulnerability or fear? to rub off on me?? Maybe their and my anger? And if I do this long enough, will it turn into hatred? After all, it is a kind of war zone, yes? Do I really want that "chickneness" to rub off on me? Silly, yes, but think. Humanity has gone from the sublime to the ridiculous. I think it is up to each of us to be vigilent and screen what will and will not rub off on us, or does our "big brain" preclude that possibility?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home