A Yankee's Musing

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Teresa

lost twice

daughter sister life-long partner friend teacher mentor
poet fiction writer wordsmith woodworker musician girl scout
my sheriff
like John Wayne your contemporary instilled trust
bigger than life gentle steel fighting injustice
you listened with every pore an unconditional smile honest responses
with eyes that betrayed a sheer delight to be sharing the moment
and a sense of irony for the absurd in an easy bantering
my history
you remember my birth my family my mother’s love in particular
as she always made sure I was put down by a window so that light and life
from outside would sate my senses
you knew my family as yours and as my aunt Myrt mentored you first as
a girl scout in her troop to a neighbor best friend
teaching duo and finally as her guardian
you nurtured my adventurous side creating stories with a child you
dubbed Long Pants filming them you as sheriff me as your antagonist
and later my writings formal responses filled with honest details in the
music room together alone time stopped
my sheriff
we faced many a crisis together as friends
as you brought me into your family when mine disappeared
until you forgot more and more until one day you
looked deeply into my eyes and told me I had such wonderful listening eyes
that they made you feel as if you knew me and in the white space of a
pregnant pause it happened how did that happen
you saw me as a friendly stranger and I saw you as the disappeared
that was the first time I lost you
Teresa
so when the second time came like the first it took me by surprise
I never had a chance to say anything even a simple good-bye
so this a tribute a closure whatever it may be whatever I am trying to say
that sounds so stilted superficial in genuine not befitting

The Sheriff from Long Pants
your eyes I will always remember connected to your smile
your soothing voice your soul that caressed mine
yes it is your eyes like a nautilus shell echoing moments forever.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:59 AM, Blogger Farfalla Press said…

    You do have "wonderful listening eyes" that was like a prose poem, wonderful, thank you.

     
  • At 9:02 AM, Blogger Farfalla Press said…

    You do have "wonderful listening eyes" thank you for sharing that, it was wonderful.

    Gary

     

Post a Comment

<< Home