A Yankee's Musing

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Hot Foot

Our weather of late has shown its southern roots--hot and very humid. No offense, but it does not bring out the best in the city; in fact, it emphasizes some of its negative aspects: foul odors, stagnant air, tenuous temper control, and heightened noise levels. Not a good time to make the transition from the mountains to the city; but nonetheless, I'm here. And then Katrina hit the Gulf Coast, New York City sprung into action sending firefighters, police officers, EMTs, nurses, doctors, and even the very same fire engine Louisianna gave us after 9-11. The volunteerism rose dramatically here as many of us who endured 9--11 got busy donating money, food, clothing, medical supplies, blood, toys, manning the National Red Cross hotlines, and even going to the coast to physically assist in any way possible. NYC is still a community, one that has learned how to accept help and one that has learned how to give back in kind. And suddenly it feels like a small town, with all the positives of such, only even better because we represent a true glimpse of how different people from all over the world can come together for a common goal.
I am glad to be here once again. The people, the microcosim of the world, that's why I am here. NYC represents humankind at its best, and sometimes at its worse. Is that so surprising? Humans are certainly like that, unpredictable and quite maddening. Just look at the mess we make out of everything we touch. I still have hope for us; if I didn't, I sure wouldn't be teaching here in the city. I'd scamper right back to the woods for good.
And speaking of scampering, I can't. I can barely walk right now because each step is a painful proposition. It is frustrating how the side effects of chemotherapy dictate their own particular timetable that has no relationship to convenience or even logic. PPE, a swelling, rash, ruptures really, have taken over my feet. No soaking in the sea for relief now, nor cushioning my feet with fuzzy slippers bring any relief. Only barefoot is bearable, and I ask you, how does one really negotiate the city barefoot and survive intact? I'm not crazy enough to find out. So feel free to call me hot foot, because literally and fiquratively right now,
that's me. Oh well, otherwise I'm feeling fine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home